Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Our Nyx

As some of you already know, we had to put our beloved Nyx (right) to sleep a little over a week ago. Only a few days after this picture, she dug up our newly planted Sago Palm plant in the back yard and it put her into liver failure. She spent a week in Mississippi State's veterinary school in the ICU and after fighting as hard as she could, blood clots in her lungs were the final straw.
We bought the plant from Lowe's, and didn't think twice because there was absolutely no warning on the label. (I even went back and took a tag from another one to double check). We're now trying to raise awareness about some of the common plants that are extremely toxic to humans as well as animals. The Mississippi State agricultural communications department wrote an article about toxins and pets and interviewed me about Nyx's case. http://msucares.com/news/print/cvm/cvm11/110526.html My mom even persuaded me to write a letter to the Ellen show since she's such an animal advocate. We just don't want this heartache to happen to anyone else!

She was such a blessing in our lives and we will miss her dearly!

4 comments:

  1. Nyx was such a badass too. A tragedy that didn't need to happen :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. How devastating! I am SO sorry for your loss! Nyx was such a beloved part of the family! I hope this story impacts the way plants are labeled and distributed to the public!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about Nyx. She was such a sweetheart! I remember when Patrick first got her and brought her up to K-State. I know you will both miss her. I was actually just reading about flee and tick medicine and how it might be safe for animals but really bad for humans. It's really sad how much we don't know about the things around us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your dog! But also so excited to keep up with your growing family on this blog! I look forward to checking back for updates.

    ReplyDelete